Child Custody and Support

When parents of young children divorce, the court has a vested interest in determining the children's best interests. Texas law provides guidelines for both child custody and child support agreements. Parents are allowed to come to their own agreements/arrangements regarding both support and custody, but the court must approve these agreements/arrangements and it will always consider the best interest of the children when doing so.

Children Come First

It seems like every parent should know this intuitively, but sometimes, in a highly contested divorce, it can seem like the best interests of the children take a back seat to the antagonism of the parents. At Eddington Worley, we will always strive to remind all parties that the best interests of the children of a divorce are paramount.


Child Custody

In Texas, in almost every divorce, parents will share custody of their children. In extreme circumstances, such as past or present endangerment of the children, the court may award sole custody to one parent or the other, but this is very rare. What people often think of as custody, is referred to as Conservatorship. When the parties are named Joint Managing Conservators, the parent named as the “custodial parent” will have the right to decide where the children live, often within certain geographic boundaries, and the right to receive child support from the noncustodial parent. It is often determined to be in the children’s best interest that they are not moved far from their established neighborhood and friends. State guidelines for visitation attempt to provide almost equal time with both parents while maintaining the least disruptive schedule for the children.

Child Support

Texas has guidelines for figuring the amount of child support that is owed, on a monthly basis, by the noncustodial parent. The amount is largely determined by two things: the income of the non-custodial parent and the number of children from the marriage. The guidelines also take into account factors such as children from other marraiges or relationships that are also being supported. The amount and duration can be altered if the child has special needs, or if any of a handful of other situations are present.

Eddington Worley, PC